Bajra itself is very good source of iron… It has further been enriched with iron by combining it with moong dal.(optional can add palak or other choice of veggies like carrot,beans,peas,etc…).This khichdi is a real treat to overcome anemia. Remember to soak the bajra well in advance, else cooking it would be difficult. Also, if serving to senior citizens who have a problem in chewing, then pressure cook the khichdi for 6 to 7 whistles. This will make the bajra very soft.
- 1/3 cup bajra (black millet)
- 1/3 cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram) ,washed and drained
- 1 1/3 tsp ghee
- salt to taste
- 2/3 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- To make Bajra Khichdi , soak the bajra in enough water for 8 hours. Drain.
- Wash the yellow moong dal 2 to 3 times under running water and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker add the soaked bajra, yellow moong dal, salt and 2 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Optional adding veggies while pressurecooking
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and turmeric powder and sauté on amedium flame for a few seconds.
- can add other spices of your choice as per taste
- Add the cooked bajra-yellow moong dal mixture and little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve the Bajra khichidi with curd or tomato soup.