Makhanas are Rich in protein and calcium, makhana combines beautifully with low-fat milk to make a creamy and delicious kheer.The nutmeg powder and saffron lends an aesthetic touch to the Makhane Kheer, making this a memorable dessert that fills your taste buds. Makhana is also a great choice for weight-watchers as it is low in fat which fills your satiety and sweet crave..
- 1/3 cup lotus seeds (makhanas)
- 1/3 tsp ghee
- 1 3/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1/3 tbssugar
- saffron (kesar) strands
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg (jaiphal) powder
To garnish with:
1 tsp pistachio(grated),almonds,manuka(kishmis)
1. Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the lotus seeds and sauté on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till they turn crisp.
2. Remove from the flame and blend the lotus seeds in a mixer to a coarse mixture.
3. Boil the milk in a deep non-stick pan, add the sugar and coarsely crushed lotus seeds, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
4. Add the saffron and nutmeg powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
5. garnished with pistachios(grated),almonds,manuka(kishmis)
6. Ready to serve